Black Social Commentary Speakers
The foundation of social commentary is expressing how one feels about a certain aspect or nature of society. Often, the motivation behind social commentary is to promote a desired social change or evolution. Here at Great Black Speakers we are proud to bring you a variety of highly qualified African-American social commentary public speakers and lecturers who perform social commentary on many different social aspects of our society. To book one of our highly-qualified African-American social commentary experts, please browse through our selection below.
The People's Scholar who specializes in finance, education, and black social commentary.
- Academic, Association, At Risk Youth, Author, Black History Month, Black Men , Black Social Commentary, Black Student Union , Civil Rights, College Orientation, Commencement, Constitution Day, Diversity, Education, Emancipation Proclamation , Finance, Homecoming, Martin Luther King Day, Personal Finance, STEM, Young Black Men
- $10,000 - $20,000
Dr. Boyce Watkins Dr. Boyce is one of the most highly sought after African-American scholars in the world. Specializing in financial psychology, educational motivation, and black social commentary, Dr. Watkins has presented his message to millions, making regular appearances on CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, ABC News, BET, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Black Enterprise Magazine and many more national media outlets. Brilliant, arti...
Award-winning Actor, Best-selling Author, and Philanthropist.
- 100 Black Men, Acting, Alpha Phi Alpha, Arts, Association, Author, Black History Month, Black Men , Black Social Commentary, Black Student Union , Campus Activity, College Orientation, Commencement, Constitution Day, Emancipation Proclamation , Film, NPHC Fraternities/Sororities, High Achieving Youth, Homecoming, Law School, Relationship
Hill Harper Hill is an award winning actor, bestselling author and philanthropist. Hill is the author of three New York Times bestsellers: Letters to a Young Brother, Letters to a Young Sister, and The Conversation. Letters to a Young Brother was named “Best Book for Young Adults” by the American Library Association in 2007.Hill currently stars on the hit television drama CSI:NY as Dr. Sheldon Hawkes. CSI is the most successfu...
Emmy Award-winning Newsmaker, Producer, Writer, Broadcaster, and Host of BET Tonight.
- 100 Black Men, Association, At Risk Youth, Black History Month, Black Men , Black Social Commentary, Black Student Union , Celebrity, Commencement, Emancipation Proclamation , Homecoming, Media, Martin Luther King Day, Multicultural Affairs, NAACP, National Bar Association, National Urban League, Race Relations , Young Black Men
- $10,000 - $20,000
- District Of Columbia
Ed Gordon Hard hitting, inspiring, intelligent, honest, and direct: these are some of the words used to describe the style and approach of Emmy-award winning broadcaster, Ed Gordon. Known for his stellar interaction with newsmakers from the worlds of politics, entertainment, and sports, his name is synonymous with the “big” interview. Gordon’s knack for landing exclusives and his no-nonsense style make him one of the t...
Award-winning Journalist and National Television Personality
T.J. Holmes Holmes inked a multi-platform talent agreement with BET Networks that includes “Don’t Sleep” (a new, original late-night program) as well as other content.Prior to joining BET Networks, Holmes was a familiar face to television viewers as a news anchor and correspondent at CNN for more than 5 years. Holmes reported from the scene of numerous breaking news events, including Joplin, MO, which was devastated by multiple ...
Author • International Speaker • Media Commentator • Race & Gender Empowerment Expert
- Alpha Kappa Alpha, Association, Black History Month, Black Social Commentary, Black Student Union , Commencement, Diversity, Martin Luther King Day, National Urban League, Professional Development, Race Relations , Women in Business, Women in Media, Women in Society
- $5,000 - $10,000
- District Of Columbia
Dr. Avis Jones-DeWeever Dr. Avis is the President of the Incite Unlimited, a Washington, DC-based boutique consulting firm and the Founder of the Exceptional Leadership Institute for Women, a global personal and professional development firm that specializes in helping women of color successfully navigate the challenges of race and gender at work in order to push through to next level career success.Her expertise and perspecti...
Roland S. Martin Roland is a nationally award-winning and multifaceted journalist. A nationally syndicated columnist with Creators Syndicate and the author of Listening to the Spirit Within: 50 Perspectives on Faith, and Speak, Brother! A Black Man’s View of America. He also serves as executive editor of the Chicago Defender, the nation’s largest Black daily newspaper. Mr. Martin is a commentator for TV One Cable Netwo...
Academician, Author, and Media Personality Committed to Raising Awareness of Issues Facing the Black Community
- Academic, Association, Author, Black History Month, Black Social Commentary, Black Student Union , Business School, Civil Rights, College Leadership, College Success, Commencement, Economic Development, Education, Martin Luther King Day, Multicultural Affairs, Race Relations , Women in Society, Womens Empowerment, Young Black Women
- $10,000 - $20,000
- North Carolina
Dr. Julianne Malveaux Recognized for her provocative, progressive and insightful observations, Dr. Julianne Malveaux, an economist, author and commentator, is the President and CEO of Last Word Productions, Inc, a multimedia production company. Described by Dr. Cornel West as “the most iconoclastic public intellectual in the country”, Dr. Malveaux’s contributions to the public dialogue on issues such as race, culture, gender, and their ec...
World-renowned poet and thought leader on black social commentary
Nikki Giovanni Nikki is a world-renowned poet, writer, commentator, activist, and educator. Over the past thirty years, her outspokenness, in her writing and in lectures, has brought the eyes of the world upon her. One of the most widely-read American poets, she prides herself on being “a Black American, a daughter, a mother, a professor of English.”Giovanni remains as determined and committed as ever to the fight for civil righ...
Recognized as a Social Activist of Empowerment who brings balance, skill and relevance to people and organizations around the country.
- Attitude, Black History Month, Black Men , Black Social Commentary, Black Student Union , Campus Activity, Career, College Motivational, College Success, Commencement, Community Outreach, Corporate Leadership, Diversity, High Achieving Youth, HBCU, Homecoming, Leadership, Organizational Development, Personal Development, Professional Development, Public Service, Relationship, Religious, Self-Esteem , Substance Abuse, Success, Womens Empowerment, Young Black Women, Youth Motivational
- $2,500 - $5,000
Early Jackson Early Jackson is what you would call a statistical anomaly. With a traumatic birth as a premi weighing only one pound and a few ounces, Early was born a fighter. His childhood began with a strong, loving mother and an entrepreneurial father which was picturesque of an average middle class family. The later separation of his mother and father sparked a life that would prove to be the exact opposite. Stepping into po...
Gregory is a leading scholar, author, and lecturer on Black Greek-letter organizations (“BGLOs”) and the role of unconscious race bias in contemporary society.
- Academic, Alpha Phi Alpha, Author, Black Men , Black Social Commentary, Black Student Union , Commencement, Emancipation Proclamation , NPHC Fraternities/Sororities, Law School, Martin Luther King Day, Multicultural Affairs, NAACP, NABA, National Bar Association, National Urban League, Psychology, Young Black Men
- $5,000 - $10,000
- North Carolina
Gregory S. Parks, J.D., Ph.D. Dr. Gregory is an Assistant Professor of Law at Wake Forest University School of Law, where he has taught since the Fall of 2011. He holds an M.A., an M.S., and a Ph.D. (all in Psychology) and a J.D. Professor Parks served as a law clerk on the District of Columbia Court of Appeals to The Honorable Anna Blackburne-Rigsby and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit to The Honorable ...
Award Winning Filmmaker, Author, and Community Activist.
“The most prolific African American Filmmaker of this generation, that 90% of African Americans have never heard of...” JANKS MORTON is a groundbreaking international and award winning Documentarian. As founder of iYAGO ENTERTAINMENT GROUP, LLC, he states “the company came into existence to reflect both the conscious and unconscious soul of Black America". JANKS MORTON has been in the entertainment industry for more than 20 ye...
Black Academic “D.I.V.A.” Thought leader on race, gender, and diversity issues.
Dr. JeffriAnne Wilder Dr. Wilder is a sociologist and scholar specializing in diversity, race relations and gender issues. She is currently a tenured Associate Professor of Sociology and the Founding Director of the Institute for the Study of Race and Ethnic Relations at the University of North Florida. In addition, Dr. Wilder is a member of the doctoral teaching faculty in the Department of Leadership, School Counseling, and Sp...
Academician, Author and Thought Leader on Politics, Black Greek Letter Organizations and Black Male Identity
Dr. Ricky L. Jones Raised by his maternal grandmother in Atlanta, Georgia's Carver Homes housing project, Dr. Ricky not only became the first member of his immediate family to graduate high school, but by age 29 he also earned a Ph.D. Currently, he is full professor (the youngest at his University when appointed), past chair, and Director of the “Center on Race and Inequality” at the University of Louisville. He is a Morehouse College alu...
Music Executive, Political Expert and Change Agent.
Mike Muse Mike Muse, co-founder of Muse Recordings, by intersecting politics and pop culture, uses his platform to create social change. As an industrial engineer turned media mogul, Mike has secured deals for Muse Recordings with the NFL, NBA, Chrysler and Starbucks. Mike is a guest commentator on pop culture, and politics on the highest rated urban radio stations in the country including XM Sirius Satellite Radio. He leve...
Rudy, Master Trainer, Manager, Consultant and Living History Performer specializes in the customized design and facilitation of workshops that help each participant to become more effective in their environment.
Rudy Barker Through Barker’s edutainment, (education and entertainment) and interactive teaching methodologies, clients gain valuable skills in the behavioral intelligence. This works for business people in the workplace and students in the educational environment.His teaching resume includes anger management/conflict resolution, parenting workshops, anti-bullying programs, critical thinking, leadership, and drama-intertwined wi...